Sunday, April 6, 2008

My kingdom for Keisuke Ogasawara and Ernie Thayer

Why do most national baseball broadcasters sound like this sound bite of John Mayer?





I love the passion of the broadcasters of the G4 show, Ninja Warrior



Ernest Thayer, of course, penned the classic baseball poem, "Casey at the Bat."

What I love about these two is that they convey the spirit of their sport. They don't do a Joe Buck and throw a bunch of stats and figures at you. Yes, those are important, but I want a broadcaster to paint me a picture of what's going on. Yes, I can see it with my own two eyes, but make me feel it. Vin Scully is a master of that. He was a radio man for years and years, and I think that is part of what helps to make him a great play by play man. He didn't have the TV to "hide" behind, his job was to paint the picture of the scene. Of course, I'm a Yankee fan, so I'm biased towards John Sterling as well. The great Mel Allen was an artist with his words. I could go on, but you get the picture. I don't was pasteurized, homogenized, vitamin D colour commentators, I want it right from the teat.

Mel Allen



The Cheesiest John Sterling clip that I could find



Scully calling Sandy Koufax's no-no

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9752592

Scully's bio at the Radio HOF

http://www.radiohof.org/sportscasters/vinscully.html

No comments: